Saturday, January 18, 2014

GOT SPINACH?



I think there needs to be a spinach mustache movement like the dairy industry did for milk, or maybe green teeth smiles! Why? Because Popeye was right, spinach is good for you!

Spinach is one of the most nutritious vegetables that exists due to the variety and amounts of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients it contains. Spinach contains iron, fiber, protein, vitamin A, B, C, K, omega 3, and trace minerals such as copper and manganese. For a specific list and quantities, check out the USDA food nutrient database. These vitamins and minerals are necessary to combat a host of nutritional deficiencies and diseases such as anemia, osteoporosis, cardiovascular diseases and cancers of colon and prostate.This list of benefits goes on!

I eat spinach almost every day. My favorite way to consume spinach is in my smoothie that I usually have for breakfast. Some people think it looks "yucky" but the spinach does not change the flavor of the smoothie. Try Drew Manning's Spinach Shake recipe and tell me if you agree. It's my favorite smoothie recipe. I substitute vegan protein powder instead of using whey (dairy). It's also delicious with chocolate protein powder or with no protein powder in it at all.

Spinach Shake Recipe
Handful of spinach
1/2 a banana (I use a whole banana)
1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk (I use a cup of almond milk)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (chocolate is good too)
3 handfuls of ice (I use about 6 ice cubes)

Blend in blender. Put in dark or non-see-through container if the green color bothers you. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment