Sunday, March 23, 2014

CHEAT DAY



I think the word “cheat” causes trouble as we transition to a healthier lifestyle. “Cheating” with food often leads to a vicious cycle of giving in to cravings, feelings of guilt, shame, and disgust, then being restrictive with food - which is the revolving door of eating disorders. I did the “cheat diet” most of my life and it accomplished nothing but grief. I have learned that thinking of eating as cheating is self-defeating! We're human, we are going to stumble and fall when it comes to eating clean, especially after years of eating the Standard American Diet that is processed and full of addictive chemicals. In order to get out of the revolving door of binge eating and bulimia, my mindset had to shift from the negative connotation of “cheating” to the positive one of “choice”.

Choice makes me feel in control of the food instead of the food controlling me. After a half-century of fighting the battle of the bulge, I am now fully aware of the consequences of my food choices that include quality of life as I approach my “golden years.” I don't beat myself up about what I eat anymore because I don't want to get back in the revolving door. I make an enlightened choice and move forward with love and compassion.

Here are a few things I have learned from the experts that help me make healthy choices:

PLAN & PREPARE. I plan and prepare as many meals as I can for the coming week. I usually cook a crock pot full of beans and veggie soup then put it into single serving containers. I cut up veggies and put them in zip lock bags so I can grab them on the go. I freeze peeled bananas to use for “ice cream.” and smoothies. Planning and preparation helps me stay on my clean eating plan and keeps me out of the fast food drive thru. If I leave it to chance, the temptation to eat junk food becomes too great, especially if it is around or if I go too long between meals, which leads to the next tip...

EAT SMALL MEALS MORE OFTEN. Dr. Dan Benardot, a nutrition consultant to Olympic athletes and author of “Advanced Sports Nutrition,” recommends eating smaller meals more often. He says we should eat half of our food at meal time then eat the other half a few hours later to maintain energy balance. Even an apple or handful of almonds between meals is enough to help me control junk food cravings.

DISTRACT & DELAY. When stress is high or if I am tired is when cravings hit full force. The distract and delay technique has worked for me many times. The idea is to distract yourself with something besides food, like deep breathing, going for a walk, or chatting with a friend. If the distraction doesn't work, then delay by drinking a big glass of water, eating fruit or veggies, and then telling yourself if you still want the junk food in 45 minutes, then go for it. Cravings usually only last a few minutes.

CRAVINGS vs HUNGER. Learning to determine if I am truly hungry and or if I am having a craving is helping me too. Dr. Roger Gould, author of “Shrink Yourself,” says an easy way to tell the difference between true cravings and hunger is if anything, like carrots or cauliflower, will do - it's hunger. If you want something specific like pizza or french fries, that's a craving. Dr. Douglas Graham, author of “The 80/10/10 Diet” says if you are craving salt, your body needs more leafy green vegetables and if you are craving sweets, your body needs the nutrients of fruit.


I have learned the hard way to be gentle with myself as I journey towards a healthier life. I hope you treat yourself with loving kindness too. Faith, love, compassion, dedication, patience, and persistence will take us to where we want to go!

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment