Saturday, March 22, 2014

Farmers Markets are Top Food Trend



I have always been a big fan of supporting local businesses. This is especially important when it comes to food. I buy local and from farmers markets whenever I can. Last year, I grew my own garden which provided plenty of tomatoes and a few other fruits and veggies. I'm going to do it again this year. Farmer's markets are one of my favorite parts of summer. I love fresh, local, organic produce.

For many years I didn't even know I lived within a few miles of a local CSA (Community Support Agriculture), Victory Acres which is located in Upland, IN. I found out about it when I was taking a plant-based nutrition class and one of my research projects led me to look for locally sourced food. I discovered it through LocalHarvest which is a website that lists local CSAs, Co-ops, and Farmer's Markets.

I am not alone with wanting locally sourced food. According to Restaurant.org, it is one of the top food trends for 2014 along with people wanting more information about children's nutrition and gluten-free cuisine. We are making progress.

Entrepreneurs, are you paying attention? Demand for locally sourced food is growing. What a welcome relief for our health and our economy!


Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment