Sunday, March 30, 2014

JTH9: Great Weight Off Wrap Up


As my mentor John C. Maxwell says, “Sometimes you win and sometimes you learn.” I learned a lot during the 90 day Great Weight Off Challenge:

Don't do a weight loss Challenge during a record-breaking frigid winter because I'm not going to go outside for a walk or go to the gym when it's 20 below. I just wanted to hibernate and eat comfort food!

90 Days is a long time to stay engaged with a Challenge. If you have a hard time hanging in there with long Challenges, a series of 30 Day or 21 Day Challenges may be the solution. Check out the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine at pcrm.org for a 21 Day Challenge that is effective and free.

People you think will support you may not for reasons that have nothing to do with you. Do not let that stop you or slow you down. Keep on doing you.

A number on a scale does not define me. Numbers that mean more to me are how many minutes a day do I spend quality time with my family, how many times do I smile and laugh during the day, how much time do I invest in strengthening my mind and spirit, how often do I encourage and help others, how many minutes do I spend moving my body, how many fruits and veggies do I eat, how many ounces of water do I drink... By taking care of these numbers, the number on the scales will take care of itself.

The Biggest Loser type progress is unrealistic unless you are willing to take extreme actions which are rarely sustainable. 1-2 lbs a week weight loss is realistic and sustainable.

Be patient. Be persistent. Expect success!

This is not the end of my wellness journey, it is just the beginning. Julie and I have made a one year commitment to helping others on their wellness journey by sharing our successes, struggles, and resources via our blog, podcast, and community events.

Our next wellness adventure will be a group study of The Daniel Plan – 40 Days to a Healthier Life. The study starts April 8th and meets Tuesdays 4:15-5:30 p.m. at The Optimist Store, 428 S. Washington Street, Marion, IN 46952. Not in the area? That's OK. You can join via phone conference call or listen to the recording. It's FREE to attend. For more information and to sign up, email us at juliehkathyg@gmail.com.

 The WINNER of the Great Weight Off Challenge is Judy Buroker. Judy won not for the most weight lost, but for consistent participation. She attended all the meet-ups and was active in the online support group. It is this type of active engagement that helps us achieve any goal. Congratulations Judy!

Hundreds of pounds were shed during the Great Weight Off Challenge. It accomplished what we set out to do which was to inspire people to take control of their health and wellness. Julie and I both said we were willing to be open and vulnerable if it would help even one person get healthier. We heard from several people who said they have been inspired by the Great Weight Off Challenge. To know that someone is taking steps to improve their health makes posting my weight and sharing my struggles all worthwhile.

Thank you to our sponsors - the Chronicle-Tribune, MGH and the Y. We have enjoyed being a part of this community wellness event and appreciate the opportunity you have provided to learn and share. The feedback we received about the Challenge was mostly positive. Accountability, making new friends, sharing stories, education from health experts, and group support were the main things participants said helped them to make their health a priority.

Thank you to the Great Weight Off Challenge participants. My wish for YOU and everyone on this wellness journey is that you live your healthiest, happiest life!

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment