Saturday, February 22, 2014

For the Love of Basketball




My dad loved playing and watching basketball. He played when he was young, and the love of the game never left his heart. He loved watching his grandkids play basketball, and he loved watching basketball on TV. My family and I went to a basketball game that was hosted at the Swayzee gymnasium where the Oak Hill Boys basketball team honored past basketball players. Korbin Cruea, a starting guard at Oak Hill, wore my dad’s 1953 basketball jacket when the team came out on the floor. It was as if my sisters and I went back in time to watch our dad play basketball. The team even wore basketball uniforms and tall tube socks designed by Korbin’s father that looked like the Swayzee Basketball team that won in 1964. My dad played before 1964, but Korbin wore my dad’s jacket as he ran out to lead his team. My dad was also a starting guard 63 years ago for the Swayzee Speed Kings. As we watched the excitement of the crowd when the players ran out on the basketball floor, we began to understand why our dad loved the game so much. My two sisters, Rhonda and Darlene, pictured with Korbin were so excited to relive that time in history. My other sister, Norma was proudly watching her grandchildren at their basketball games the same Saturday.

It is so important to take the time to honor the ones that you love in your life. If you are a parent or a grandparent, you should support your family in all their endeavors. As I watched Korbin’s dad and mom, I saw how proud they were of their son when he was playing in the game. Our family needs to know that we will be there for them through thick or thin in life. Let them know that you care and love them.  

Thank you Oak Hill Basketball team for honoring the teams, both past and present, and for bringing the Swayzee gym back to life in so many ways.

Julie

Ivan Key
1934-2012
We miss you Dad
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment