Monday, January 27, 2014

Competition



I have never been much into sports. Maybe it was because as a kid I was always among the last to get picked for a team or maybe it was because the one sport I did get to play for a short time in jr. high school, basketball, the coach was constantly making rude comments about my "big boobs" (his words) and smacking my butt. He always yelled at the team and made us run until we puked. This was the same coach that doubled as a history teacher and took great pleasure in lining the class up and giving them a whack with a board - one whack for each letter grade below a B. Some kids were getting whacked every day until their parents showed up to question it. I knew better than making bad grades because I would also get in trouble at home for any grade below a C. I had to stand up in front of the class and get whacked only once. I've always learned my lessons fast! That was my first experience in competitive sports and I shied away from it after that.

Later, when I had kids of my own who wanted to do sports, I again witnessed coaches yelling at kids and often the parents would yell at their kids too. I have seen so many kids feel rejected and cry. It breaks my heart to know that is going to be their view of sports and competition too. For many years, I never understood why competition was necessary.

As I get older, I have a better understanding of sports and competition. It still majorly pushes my buttons for anyone to get yelled at or harassed, but I believe that there is a place for competition in the world because it pushes us to go beyond what we think we are capable of achieving. It helps motivate us and drive us to want to get better at our sport and I believe that the discipline it takes to become better at sports transfers into other areas of our life too.

Like most things, I see competition on a linear scale where either extreme is not good. On one end is no competition, everybody wins. I think there is a time and place for the no competition approach, like in the beginning of learning a sport or anything new, and then the other end of the scale is where everything is about competition and winning at any cost. Both extremes come at a high price. On the competition scale, I am left of center towards the no competition side, but I do see value in friendly and fun competition, and competition that pushes you out of your comfort zone towards living a healthier and happier life. Where are YOU on the competition scale?

Yesterday started week 4 of the 12-week Great Weight Off Community Challenge. When I looked at the report that showed some of the Challengers have lost 6-8 lbs and I have only lost 1 lb, I have to admit that fired up my competitive spirit a little bit, not that I want to "beat" anyone else's "score" but it made me want to step it up, try harder and stay focused. That's the power of competition.

Competition to me is to be better than I was yesterday. My biggest competition is my overprotective, fear-based, survival mode me vs. my abundant, adventurous, infinite possibilities me. I want to win the sport of living my best life.

Let the games begin!

Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment