Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Pain of Obesity



"People change only when they hurt enough that they have to, learn enough that they want to, or receive enough that they are able to.” ~ John C. Maxwell


Being overweight has limited the quality of my life in so many ways. I am uncomfortable in a swimsuit, shorts, dresses, or anything that shows my swollen legs. I am also uncomfortable in short sleeve blouses or shirts. I have avoided social gatherings on many occasions. I have passed up opportunities to go boating, swimming, motorcycle riding, or hanging out in public (like at fairs and festivals) with my husband, family, and friends because I was embarrassed of my size.

Physically, being morbidly obese wears me out quickly. I get out of breath and feel light headed walking up a flight of stairs. My knees and feet hurt constantly. The pain has affected my work and dictates what I can do and where I can (or rather cannot) go.

A couple years ago, I went horseback riding at Brown County State Park, and had to have help getting up on the horse. I felt like everyone was staring at me as I tried again and again to get on the horse. I was thankful it was a big, sturdy horse, but was still worried I was too heavy to ride it. I went to the amusement park with my grandchildren and couldn't fit in the seat on one of the rides and the seat belt wouldn't fasten on another ride. A guy walked in behind me at the convenience store and made rude "fat" comments. I am sensitive to "fat" jokes that have been told in my presence more times than I can count. Obesity is the one prejudice that seems to be accepted. I hear it and see it all the time. I could go on with this list, but you get the point. If you are overweight, I'm sure you could add some painful stories of your own.

I see what obesity has done to my mother (put her in a wheel chair) and grandmother (died of cancer and heart disease). Both of them got adult onset diabetes. I started getting diseases (diverticulitis, immune system issues such as extreme fatigue, inflammation, chronic lung infections, and wounds that were slow to heal) and it made me realize that if I don't turn this around now, I will follow the same path as my mother and grandmother.

John Maxwell says that people will change when they hurt enough that they have to, learn enough that they want to, and receive enough that they are able to. I have suffered enough pain from obesity to last a lifetime, I have spent the last 20 years learning as much as I can about strengthening the mind, body and spirit. And I am receiving the tools, information, and support I need to move forward.

Enough pain. It's time for healing and transformation.

Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment