Friday, January 17, 2014

Picky Eater


Are you a picky eater? I am not as bad as I was when I was little, but I still am picky when it comes to food. I used to sit at the table for what seemed like hours. I hated coming in and eating supper every night because I knew my mom would make something that I did not like to eat. Then my dad would make me sit at the table until I ate the food. My three sisters also had to sit at the table just like me when there was something that they did not like.
I was very stubborn, and I thought that I would win and dad would let me get up from the table. Unfortunately I never did win. I always had to sit there until I ate every last bite of food on my plate.  

Now I will at least try new foods. I have been surprised at how I end up liking certain foods now, that I hated when I was younger. I am still a little apprehensive on some things, but I have grown out of that stage. I have allowed my taste buds to experience a whole new world of different foods.
Today Kathy and I had lunch with some women from the Great Weight Off, and Kathy brought in lunch for everyone, (email us at juliehkathyg@gmail.com to receive group updates about future outings). She had us prepare raw tacos. I looked around the table for the taco shells, but I did not see any shells. She had us use romaine lettuce leaves instead of a taco shell. I have to admit that I was a little skeptic about trying this raw taco, but I decided that I was going to be a good sport and at least try it.

I was amazed; I really liked this raw taco, and I did not even have to sit at the table for a long time, like when I was little. I also tried different kinds of hummus dips. This was also something else that I would have never tried before. I left lunch today all excited that I had found something that I liked, and the best thing of all……..It was healthy! Kudos to you Kathy!
I encourage everyone to get out there and try something new. Sometimes you just have to prepare a food in a different way, like I did with kale when I made kale chips, in order to like something new. I do not like eating kale raw, but when I decided to try kale chips I loved them. I took something healthy that I did not really enjoy eating, and found a way to prepare it so that I did. So put your taste buds out there and discover something new and healthy today.

Julie
 

No comments:

Post a Comment